'I want answers': Teenager 'takes own life' in mental health hospital - despite dad's care protests

'I want answers': Teenager 'takes own life' in mental health hospital - despite dad's care protests

Dad David Moore said he's 'devastated, let down and angry' after raising fears his daughter would commit suicide

Another teenage girl has tragically died under the care of the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys (TEWV) NHS Foundation Trust.

Emily Moore, 18, is the third girl in a matter of months to die while living at the trust's mental health facilities.

Emily had been a patient at West Lane, Acklam, previously, with her dad David Moore, 51, so unhappy with her care he even protested with a banner outside.

It read: "This hospital is sending my child home to die. Shame on you TEWV." 

David Moore has voiced concerns about how his daughter was cared for under the TEWV trust 

She later moved to Lanchester Road Hospital, in Durham, where she had spent just one week before she tragically died.


Speaking to Teesside Live after Emily's tragic death Mr Moore said he believed she had taken her own life.

He said: "I want answers".

He said: "I have always had concerns with the TEWV trust (but) because of where we live, we have got to go with them.

"I'm devastated, I'm let down, I'm angry."

Mr Moore, who also has a son aged 14, said his daughter was taken to hospital on February 13 after an incident before ultimately being tragically pronounced dead on Saturday, February 15.

He met with representatives from the TEWV trust to raise his concerns on Monday.

He said: "They just said they are trying to make improvements which I don't agree with.

"They sort of listened more than said anything.

"It just shouldn't have happened really.

"I don't know the full story as yet.

"She just moved on to adult services, she had only just been there a week." 

Emily Moore 

Emily, from Shildon in County Durham, first encountered difficulties with her mental health around three-and-a-half years ago when she was diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder.

She spent time at West Lane Hospital in Middlesbrough before later moving to Ferndene Hospital in Northumberland and ultimately Lanchester Road Hospital in Durham.

Mr Moore said he rang the hospital on the day of the incident to raise concerns about his daughter's state of mind but "three or four hours later she was in hospital fighting for her life".

Her death is the third of a teenage girl under the care of the TEWV trust in a matter of months.

Teesside Live reported last year how 17-year-old Christie Harnett died in June, and Nadia Sharif , also 17, died on August 9 while at West Lane.

A subsequent inspection by the CQC rated the hospital as inadequate and said patients were at high risk of "avoidable harm" which resulted in the CQC taking "urgent action" to close the hospital. 

Nadia Sharif and Christie Anne Harnett, both 17, died in the care of West Lane Hospital

Mr Moore previously protested outside West Lane in May last year claiming he feared Emily would take her own life if she was discharged.

He said at the time that staff planned to discharge her - even though she threatened to commit suicide if they did.He put up signs around the site, which were later removed, and a large banner.

Mr Moore even claimed ligatures had been left in her room, which she used to self-harm.

He claimed to have found five in less than 10 minutes during a visit.

Mr Moore added: "I just don't want it to happen to anyone else's child."

In a statement, Colin Martin TEWV chief executive said: "Our deepest sympathies go to the family and friends of Emily.

"We aren't able to provide any further details at this time, however, we always carry out a full review when someone under our care dies and we will prioritise any immediate actions."